We have no associate members to the Governing Board
None of our Governors have registered business or pecuniary interests
Grendon Primary School N.C.
Structure and Responsibilities
The Governing Body will have the responsibilities as determined by the requirements of the Birmingham Education Department; the three core functions being:
- Ensuring that the vision, ethos and strategic direction of the school are clearly defined
- Ensuring that the head teacher performs his or her responsibilities for the educational performance of the school; and
- Ensuring the sound, proper and effective use of the school's financial resources
In addition to this, Governors have a number of other importan duties, including:
- Determining how the school's budget is spent
- Appointing staff
- Hearing appeals and grievances
- Forming policy on the school's curriculum
- Setting standards for pupil behaviour
- Making sure the school building is welcoming and safe
- Setting and monitoring the school's aims and policies.
The Head Teacher's respsonsibilities include:
- The internal organisation, management and control of the school
- The educational performance of the school
Click the buttons on the left to meet our Governors
Full Meetings of the Governing Body
The Full Governing Board will hold a minimum of three meetings per school year when all members are required to attend. Other meetings will be convened as and when necessary. Quorum 1 half of the whole number rounded up.
In order to fulfill these requirements there willm be 3 sub-committees in operation from whom the Full Governing Body will receive reports and recommendations to ratify and, if necessary, hold further discussion.
The reports along with the agenda will be circulateed with 7-10 days of the full meetings. The sub-committees are:
- Strategic Improvements and Development - currently Curriculum/monitoring of School Action Plan
- Finance and Premises
- SAPS (Salaries and Staffing)
- Others - Disciplinary and Complaints
At the first meeting of each academic year the Chair and Vice Chair will be elected.
Also at the first meeting, Governing Body members will be delegated to the sub-committees and chair of each committee will be appointed.
The Full Governing Body meetings will be serviced by the Clerk to the Governing Body, who will also service the Finance Committee and others as appropriate.
Every question to be decided at a Governing Body meeting must be determined by a majority of votes of those Governors present and voting in person, telephone or video conferencing.
There have been some important changes to the regulatory framework for school governance from 1 September 2013
The School Governance (Roles, Procedures and Allowances) (England) Regulations 2013 came into force and replaced he following:
- The Education (School Governance) (Terms of Reference) (England) (Regulations) 2000
- Education (Governors'Allowances) (England) Regulations 2003
- The School Governance (Procedures) (England) Regulations 2003
The Chair of each sub-committee will serve on this group plus other members of the Governing Body where appropriate, including the Head Teacher, Deputy Head and Assistant Head Teacher
Meetings will be held each term or as a circumstances require.
Notice to be served 7 days in advance
Delegation of Functions
- To contribute to the School Improvement Plan and monitor progress against key areas for development
- To analyse and challenge the required published information regarding school performance together with school data in order to drive further improvement
- To advise the Governing Body on the schools curriculum statement
- With the assistance of staff provide the information about how the curriculum is taught, evaluated and resourced
- To ensure that the regulations of children with special needs are met, including behavioural management
- To review the following Policies and practices: Safeguarding, Relgious Education and Sex Education
- Functions in relation to school discipline policies, exclusions and admissions
A report will be presented at each Full Governing Body meeting
Finance and Premises Committees
A minimum of 5 members will serve on this committee, which must include the Head Teacher and will be serviced by the clerk to the Governing Body
Meetings will be held three times per school year or as circumstances require.
The SAPs comittees will always meet prior to the Finance comittee in order to put forward any matter that has financal implications.
The committee has been given the authority to approve any financial decisions and will report to the Full Governing Body meetings.
Delegation of Functions
Notice to be served 7 days before the meeting
- To review and approve annual budget
- The Governing Body has delegated the day-to-day management of the budget to the Head Teacher
- All virements of £5000 and over to be subject to Finance committee approval
- All expenditure of orders between £10,000 and £174,394 to be subject to Finance comittee approval after receipt of 3 quotations
- HT Report to update governors on whole school trends including evidence of Pupil Premium and Sports Premium spending
- Monitor spending in School Improvement Plan
- Ensure that private funds are audited annually by delegation
- To receive termly budget reports on behalf of the Governing Body
- Governors receive appropriate training as required
- Review Charges and Remissions Policy
- To provide an annual programme of maintenance and repairs to school buildings
- To establish and oversee Heath and Safety matterss. (Measure on safety, school alarms, and register of fire drills, accident book and disposal of litter)
- To promote the school in the community and produce the school prospectus
- Any matters of uniform will be discussed and actively promoted and supported
- To oversee the work of BSS
SAPS Committee (Staffing, Appointments and Pay)
A minimum of 4 members will serve on this committee, which will include the Head Teacher and will be serviced by the Clerk to the Governing Body as required.
Meetings will be held once every term or as circumstances require.
The SAPs committee will always meet prior to the Finance Committee in order to put forward any matter that has financial implications
Delegation of Functions
Notice to be served 7 days before the meeting
- All appointments of teaching staff to be delegated to the Head Teacher and one Governing Body member.
- Staff development and training needs
- To oversee support staff Performance Management
- To review and approve Teachers Pay and Conditions Policy
This committee is responsible for matters where there has been a breach of discipline within the school by either a pupil or member of staff
Where the offence has justified long term exclusion in the case of a child
Where the offence has justified the suspension or warning in the case of a member of staff
In view of the above, the membership of the membership of this comittee should be that of the Chair of the Governing Body, 1 LEA representive and 1 co-opted member
If any member has an interest in the outcome of the hearing it must be declared in order for a replacement to be found
As matters may be of a delicate nature informal minutes should be taken by the Clerk to the Governning Body and signed by the Chair before the meeting is concluded
The Chair for the next Full Governing Body meeting will then complete a full report
This comittee will have the authority to make decisions
Structure of Financial Management for the Head Teacher
The Governing Body formally delegates the day-to-day financial management of MIS to Ms T Pyke, Head Teacher. Specifically:
To prepare (by reference to the School Development Plan) and submit an annual budget plan to the Finance Committee for approval during the second half of the spring term
To submit proposals for the amendment of the school Budget Plan to the Finance Committee for consideration and approval.
1. The Head Teacher can incur expenditure up to £5000 without reference to the Finance Committee
2. The Head Teacher can incur expenditure in single orders between £5000 and £10000 with the prior approval of the Finance Committee, subject to the receipt of three quotes and compliance with the current Financial Regulations and Standing Orders as outlined in the Schools' Financial Procedures Manual.
3. The Head Teacher can incur expenditure on single orders in excess of £10000 with the prior approval of the Governing Body subject to the receipt of three quotes and compliance with the current Financial Regulations and Standing Orders as outline in the School's Financial Procedures Manual.
4. The Head Teacher may incur cumulative expenditure with suppliers (outside the City Council Departments) up to £10000 without reference to the Finance Committee
5. The Head Teacher should provide a report to each Finance Committee meeting to show cumulative expenditure with suppliers in excess of £10000 for which an annual approval of an exemption from Standing Orders should be included in the relevant minutes. It should be noted that if expenditure in the following financial year may also exceed £10000 with the same supplier that alternative quotes should be sought.
Virements and Budget Revisions
1. The Head Teacher may undertake virements and budget revisions up to £5000 which should retrospectively be reported to the Finance Committee
2. The Head Teacher may undertake virements and budget revisions between £5000 and £10000, which should be reported to the Finance Committee for prior approval before being undertaken
3. The Head Teacher may undertake virements and budget revisions in excess of £5000, which should be reported to the Governing Body prior to approval before being undertaken.
To submit financial reports to each meeting of the Financial Committee, which include a Cost Centre Committee Review Report, BDH Report, outstanding suspense list, variance reportl, and reconciliation at year end between school and city ledgers
To maintain an inventory record in accordance with the current financial regulations
To be authorised to write off equipment or appropriately sell from school inventory with reference to the Financial Committee retrospectively. To provide termly reports to Finance Committee on the value and description of equipment that has been written off.
To manage and maintain adequate records of all other school funds and to prepare and submit annual audited accounts to the Finance Committee for their approval.
To maintain and develop adequate financial systems/records, i.e. Petty Cash, Personnel etc., to protect the school assets and to comply with the LEA's Financial Regulations. To make recommendations to the Finance Committee for the improvement of financial systems and records where appropriate.
To report and make recommendations to the Finance Committee on any proposed changes which the LEA may request to be made to the Standing ORders and Financial Regulations
The Head Teacher should ensure that a financial statement is presented to each meeting of the Finance Committee (Cost Centre Report)
Suggested Powers for the Finance Committee
- The intitial approval of the budget - to be ratified by the Governing Body
- The approval of the Head Teacher's delegated powers
- The receipt and approval of Financial Statements at each meeting
- The approval of expenditure on items between £5000 and £10000
- The retrospective approval of virements and budget revision up to £5000
- The prior approval of budget revisions and budget virements between £5000 and £10000
Revised September 2015